This Content Latest Updated On — 4th Jan, 2021
If you are new to espresso at home, you might be unfamiliar with the coffee knock boxes and neither would have thought of buying one.
What is a Knock Box?
Very often people have seen in bars, cafes, restaurants, also in small hotels, one of the things unpleasant are the coffee grounds, once the coffee powder used is exhausted it needs to be thrown away.
These coffee spillages or the leftovers are a real blow away when coming to smell. They really stink bad and make the surrounding unpleasant and unfriendly atmosphere.
But to overcome this situation there is a solution and that is called a Knock box.
A knock box is similar to a trash bin, it is a small box or a bucket type shaped made up of steel and rubber that is used to throw the leftovers of the coffee into it very easily.
Apart from this, a knock box can also be used as an emergency trash bin for other wastes, it can be used as a small box carrier for collecting flowers or herbs in it.
Importance of Espresso Knock box
Some people tap their portafilter or the leftover of the coffee inside the garbage, well in this case they have to always wash it for reuse so why not use an espresso knock box that can help in saving time and effort.
Secondly, people throw the spillage or the portafilter in the sink which is not a good practice as it can end up clogging the drain.
Anyone can use a knock box to deposit their used coffee pucks after pulling a coffee shot, it holds a bar inside it so while depositing the used coffee puck the user can knock the portafilter against the bar to loosen the wastes in it.
Mostly the good coffee users call it a puck box or a bash bin.
Benefits of using a Coffee knock boxes
- It helps by removing the headache of washing dustbins and reusing them
- It helps in collecting all the powders and spillage in an organized manner
- It helps in easily recycle coffee-related materials that are recycled
- It can save anyone from clogging their sink drainage
- It can be quite handy especially in commercial sectors to easily throw the unwanted coffee materials
- It helps in collecting small things and storing in it
- It helps by throwing wet wastes into it.
Before purchasing a Coffee knock box things to bear in mind
- First of all size – Because the main purpose of buying a knock box is to look nice on your coffee station, and you’d also feel comfortable working with. So ensure to check the dimensions before buying a knock box.
- Secondly capacity – Well it all depends on how many coffees do you make every day? Are you willing to keep it as it is until it’s fully jacked-up till the neck? It would be a smarter choice if you follow the dimensions to calculate how many pucks can be thrown into it as some can resist 3 to 4 while others can store up to 30.
- Last but not the least is material – The built quality matter a lot, most are stainless steel as they are easy to clean and strong to do the bashing, while others are made up of plastic but just think how careful you will have to be while depositing pucks into it.
Top 3 Best Espresso knock box
1) De Longhi DLSC059
- Its dimension is 10.8 x 14.1 x 14.8 cm
- It’s made up of stainless steel body with a rounded shape at corners which makes it elegant and easy while throwing pucks into it.
- The user can remove the bar to access fully leftovers
- The Simple and sturdy looks with curved corners make it a good choice to add up the station.
2) Grindenstein Knock box
- Its dimension is 10.2 x 10.2 x 10.2 cm
- It’s made up of hard and good quality plastic
- This knock box is specifically designed to fit in the espresso machine drip tray
- It has a thick rubber-coated plastic knock bar that will ensure the portafilter doesn’t get damaged while throwing the pucks
- It’s a great option for people who have small coffee stations or small kitchens.
3) Fdit knock box
- Its dimension is 27.6 x 12.1 x 17.5 cm
- It’s made with a combination of steel and wood
- This is one of the favorite knock boxes widely used for commercial purposes or in large coffee stations
- It’s very spacious so it can be used multiple times without worrying to actually care about throwing carefully pucks or knocking portafilter into it
- It has a thick rubber sleeve on the knock bar that will ensure no damage to the portafilter
- The best part is the inner steel tub that can be easily removed to wash it multiple of times to keep it clean and shiny
- With a sturdy and strong material built quality, it’s a must have knock box for cafes, restaurants, and hotels.
I love to drink coffee and also love to write about it. Other than drinking coffee I love the machine that produced it. I am always curious to know more about the coffee industry from the inside and from the outside that reflects on my blog.
I am the current owner of coffeemakerguy.com and I love all forms of coffee. Love cooking and cleaning my kitchen after that.